Dr. CampbellThe first Lee Lewis Campbell Elementary was built in 1939 and named after Dr. Lee Lewis Campbell, educator and religious statesman, from Milan County. It was located at 1600 Chicon Street.

In the spring of 1990, the citizens of Austin approved a bond package to build five new elementary schools.  A new Lee Lewis Campbell Elementary was to be built with the bond funds. Construction began in September 1991. It was completed in the fall of 1992 at 2613 Rogers Avenue. 

Dr. Lee Lewis Campbell was born in 1868 and died on August 9, 1927. Mr. Campbell was a great humanitarian, and was highly influential as a leader in education and civic enterprises. His far-reaching influence has been passed on through the years.